7 December, 2021
Top 5 Tips When Buying Promotional Pens
We all have them. Some of us have a desk full of them. Promotional pens are one of the biggest selling items for promotional giveaways, so what should you look for to help your business stand out from the crowd when you want to buy some? Below we have listed the top 5 things you should look for when buying your pens.
- Branding Area: This quite often gets overlooked by many people, but it is an important part of choosing the right pen for your promotion. Pens have a small print area to work with, and depending on the shape you pick, that print area can sometimes become tiny. Slender or slimline pens will restrict you to solely one line of text. It is fine for a website, a phone number, or just a company name, but that’s all. If you want to add your logo or two lines of text, you need to avoid slimline pens and get a wider style. Look for a pen that gives you at least 8mm in height. This will allow for two lines of text, and even if your logo is vertical in shape, the 8mm should be high enough to get a good definition of your logo.
- Uniqueness: It is amazing for the number of different available pens and how many people pick a similar style to each other. If you want to stand out from the crowd, then pick a pen style that will grab people’s attention. This will also mean when they grab a pen to write with, they will tend to pick your pen rather than the generic styles. It also means they will probably show it off to other people to show how unique it is. Don’t stay with the crowd. Be emboldened and try something different
- Colour: This may sound like a dumb one, but picking a striking colour can also give you an edge over others. A vibrant yellow, a neon orange, a striking pink. Pick a colour that already represents your brand, or you can even get pens with multi colours – different coloured clips or grip area and match them up to your corporate colours to emphasise your branding.
- Lasting Power: This is an important one. You might go for the cheapest pen on the market, thinking you are saving yourself money. Yes, you are saving money, but usually the cheaper the pen, the smaller the refill. Unfortunately, the only pens where people will go out and buy a refill are expensive ones. Plastic pens and many cheaper metal pens people will just throw out when they stop working. So, that cheap pen might only have a writing distance of 500 to 700m. You’d be lucky if that last 6 months. If you get one with a distance of 1500m plus, that will work for well over a year. The cost difference might only be $0.03 to $0.04 cents, but it means you’ve doubled your advertising time with the client, and that is worth much more.
- The Right Style For The Right Place: This again sounds like a simple thing, but you’d be amazed how many people get it wrong. If you are at a populous trade show, then the odds are you will get hundreds of people visiting your booth. In this instance you want to look for a plastic pen that is cheap, but also long lasting. This is the most economical choice but also gives you lasting advertising. There is no real benefit to go to a more expensive metal style pen in this type of scenario. The other is if you are dealing with more higher-class clientele. These people you need to impress, so a nice quality metal pen would be better suited in this instance.
There you have it – the 5 top tips for picking your promotional pen. If you are still unsure what would work best for your promotion, give us all or send us an email enquiry, and we’d be happy to help.
The Printed Pens Team